THE HISTORY OF WEATHERBY
The first Mr Weatherby (James) was appointed to serve the Jockey Club as its Secretary in 1770. He was an able and entrepreneurial man and over the next 25 years laid strong foundations for the business.
He was assisted by his nephew, whose work on racehorse pedigrees dovetailed neatly with James’s racing work. In 1791, he promoted the publication of The General Stud Book, a definitive record of the pedigrees of approximately 400 horses which were seen as the foundation for all thoroughbred stock worldwide.
For 200 years, Weatherbys was based in London, but in the late 1960s migration to Wellingborough, in Northamptonshire, was undertaken, where they have been ever since.